CAR-T therapy can be a treatment option for medical tourists or international patients who are seeking medical care outside of their home country. However, accessing CAR-T therapy as a medical tourist can be challenging due to factors such as the high cost of treatment, the need for specialized medical expertise, and the complex logistics of cell therapy manufacturing and delivery.
Some hospitals or clinics that offer CAR-T therapy may accept international patients, but this would typically require patients to navigate the healthcare system and insurance requirements of the country in which the treatment is being administered. Additionally, patients would need to factor in the cost of travel and accommodations, as well as potential language and cultural barriers.
In general, it is recommended that patients seeking CAR-T therapy as medical tourists or international patients work with a medical tourism facilitator or agency that can help them navigate the logistics of accessing treatment abroad. These facilitators can help patients identify hospitals or clinics that offer CAR-T therapy, facilitate communication with medical professionals, and help with travel arrangements and logistics.
However, it is important to note that CAR-T therapy is a highly specialized and personalized treatment, and not all hospitals or clinics may have the expertise or infrastructure to provide this treatment to international patients. Patients should thoroughly research and evaluate their options, and seek input from medical professionals, before pursuing CAR-T therapy as a medical tourist.
Countries which offer CAR-T cell therapy for international patients
Patients who travel for CAR-T cell therapy often do so because it is not available in their home country or because the cost is prohibitive. Some of the countries that offer CAR-T cell therapy include:
• United States: The United States is a leader in the development and research of CAR-T cell therapy. However, the cost of CAR-T cell therapy in the United States can be very high, making it unaffordable for some patients.
• Israel: Israel has a well-developed medical tourism industry and offers CAR-T cell therapy at a fraction of the cost of the United States.
• Germany: Germany has a strong healthcare system and offers CAR-T cell therapy at competitive prices.
• Spain: Spain is a popular destination for medical tourism and offers CAR-T cell therapy at a variety of price points.
• Singapore: Singapore is a modern and efficient country with a strong healthcare system. CAR-T cell therapy is available in Singapore at a competitive price.
When choosing a country to travel to for CAR-T cell therapy, it is important to consider the following factors:
• Cost: The cost of CAR-T cell therapy varies from country to country. It is important to factor in the cost of treatment, travel, and accommodations when making a decision.
• Availability: Not all countries offer CAR-T cell therapy. It is important to check the availability of treatment in the country you are considering.
• Quality of care: The quality of care can vary from country to country. It is important to research the hospitals and clinics that offer CAR-T cell therapy in the country you are considering.
• Language and cultural barriers: If you do not speak the language of the country you are traveling to, it is important to consider the language and cultural barriers you may face.
If you are considering traveling for CAR-T cell therapy, it is important to do your research and choose a country that is right for you. There are many factors to consider, but the most important factor is that you receive the best possible care.
Testimonial by a CAR-T patient at Hadassah hospital
My Husband and I engaged with Tanya Preminger from IHA to travel from New Zealand to Israel for undertaking Car T treatment. During the preparation stage Tanya was very professional in her approach and extremely responsive to our many emails. During our 8 week stay in Israel Tanya was incredibly supportive on both a practical and social level. Tanya was an effective communicator with ourselves and the Hadassah hospital staff, always accountable and flexible with our needs. We would highly recommend Tanya as a representative for other clients who may be considering various treatments in Israel.
Yvonne and Mike Hogan, New Zealand, 8/5/2023
CAR-T cell therapy in Israel
CAR-T for Leukemia and Lymphoma in Israel
CAR-T for Myeloma in Israel
CAR-T cell therapy for leukemia and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) in Europe
CAR-T cell therapy for Multiple Myeloma patients in Europe